Friday, April 12, 2013

Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette

What do you love best about the salad you see here?  For most people, I’m sure the answer would be the bacon.  While I do like the bacon (definite progress from a few years ago), I am all about the hard boiled eggs.  I love them.  (Don’t even get me started on deviled eggs.  They are my kryptonite.  Gah!)  But aside from my love of eggs, I love this salad overall.  The components just work so very well together.  The eggs provide a bit of creaminess, the bacon gives bacony goodness, obviously.  With the crunchy spinach leaves, earthy mushrooms and slight bite of the red onion, the combination is stellar.  This would make a really nice starter to a meal or does well on its own as a light-ish meal.

For the salad: 
8-12 oz. baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
4 oz. button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3-4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced

For the dressing: 
6 slices thick bacon (about 6 oz.), finely diced
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp. honey or sugar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste


Source

No comments:

Post a Comment